Local Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
If you reside in El Cerrito, Hercules, Pinole, Richmond, San Pablo and the unincorporated West County areas (Crockett, El Sobrante, Port Costa, Rodeo, & Tormey) you may drop off your household hazardous waste for FREE at the The West Contra Costa County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Proof of residency is required. If you are a resident of Kensington, go here for further information. For hours of operation, location, and certain restrictions please scroll further down this page.
To see examples of what types of items can be dropped off at the facility visit our Hazardous Materials Database. Click on the item you have for disposal to see whether or not it is accepted at the facility and for alternative ways for proper disposal. These items are NOT accepted for drop off: controlled substances, radioactive materials, explosives, firearms, pressurized gas cylinders - thick walled and over 5 gallons.
If you are a small business in West Contra Costa County, you may be eligible to drop off hazardous waste for a fee. For more information navigate the commercial hazardous materials page.
Location of HHW Facility
101 Pittsburg Avenue, North Richmond – 1,000 feet east of the
Going Northbound on the
Turn Right onto
Going Southbound on the
Turn Left onto
, Go about 1000 yards and Pittsburg Ave
Turn Right into the second driveway at
101 Pittsburg Avenue.
Hours of Operation
Open: Thursdays, Fridays & the first Saturday of every month.
Hours: 9am-4pm (closed Noon to 12:30 p.m. for lunch).
NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED! BRING PROOF OF RESIDENCY!
For more information call 888-412-9277
Handling, Transport, & Drop-Off
Legal transport limit is no more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per vehicle per visit. Individual containers are limited to 5 gallon capacity.
- Leave labels intact or clearly label all items.
- Limit individual containers to 5 gallons each.
- Asbestos: Bag in 6 ml plastic bags (4 heavy garbage bags) - each bag may weigh no more than 30 pounds and contain pieces no longer or wider than 27 inches.
- Do not mix materials in the same container.
- Tighten lids & place leaking or dirty containers in strong plastic bags.
- Pack individual containers in a sturdy box or tub with absorbent material such as newspaper.
- Transport materials in the trunk or rear of the vehicle.
- Stay in your vehicle when you arrive at the facility.